Dwellbeing is a home maintenance app that is offered exclusively to Liberty Mutual customers. It is aimed at both new and experienced homeowners in order to try to help them with the upkeep of their home and to mitigate claims and accidents. I led the UX on the redesign of this application.

Prompt

Objective ― Incentivize homeowners to keep up with their home maintenance in order to mitigate insurance claims.

My Role ― Lead the UX effort to both rebrand Dwellbeing and implement new features to retain users.

Challenge ― Improve a visually outdated app's branding and vastly improve the user experience to align more with users needs and expectations.

Result

Deliverables ― Updated style guide, rebranded app, future road map for additional features to be implemented.

Conclusion ― The development team and executive leadership both accepting a collaborative and hands-on participation in the design thinking process enabled us to move efficiently to make sweeping changes to the core experience and visual brand.

Prompt ―

Solaria Labs (Liberty Mutual) had an application in Dwellbeing that was underperforming as a result of poor UX/UI design. Leadership took a step back and dedicated a few months to a complete experience and brand overhaul in order to make a big leap forward to Dwellbeing 2.0. Hold bi-weekly design thinking sprints, dedicated resources, and community buy-in to create an environment of collaboration and eventual success in launching the new app.


User Research ―

One of the most important sprints we completed early in the process was our user research survey that questioned “What do our target users care about?”. By putting a quantifiable order around our users motivations, feature requests, and frustrations around home maintenance we were able to properly prioritize which ideas to focus on with our first design sprints and which areas to push a bit further back in the schedule. Ensuring that we touched on the users’ highest priorities means the highest impact on our first set of feature updates.

Design Thinking ―

As a big believer in the design thinking process, I was extremely happy to see our team take on our design sprints with an open mind and blue sky thinking to see what the app could be rather than be constrained by what the app currently was. What followed were weeks of design sessions, brainstorming, prototyping, testing, and refining.

Ideas that made it through user interviews and were validated were immediately added to the road map and prioritized for the near future. Constant design sprints enabled us to stay ahead of development and ensure that the stories in the queue for the next few development sprints were always well planned, validated with users, and clearly thought out from a UX point of view.

Using figjam, figma, and old-fashioned pencil and paper we were able to execute against a massive amount of user wants and desires for our app while also addressing their biggest frustrations in the real life space of home maintenance. Eventually these brainstorm ideas were all built, user tested, and verified in figma before heading to the backlog.

An Updated Brand ―

One of the biggest customer critiques about the old version of the app was that it simply looked old. The previous design was less action oriented and more advertising. Pivoting to a task, action, and accomplishment oriented design as well as updating the branding to a much lighter and more welcoming palette and weight to our app helped the way we were being viewed by our customers as helpful, aligning with our brand values.

Along with our renewed focus on our brand, we also reimagined and refocused our brand values to align with our users desires. This led to new softer colors, a more personal type stack, and more padding and spacing in many parts of the UI.


Jira UX and Development Process ―

Solaria adhered to a strict sprint schedule with heavy UX integration. Our success and efficiency was thanks to weekly planning sessions and a rigid following of our process. Every ticket that went from the backlog into a sprint plan was reviewed and given acceptance criteria by a trio of designer, developer, and project lead. This ensured both understanding and transparency with respect to scoping of tasks and who is responsible for completing the tasks and verifying that they are done completely.

Ensuring Future Success ―

Prioritizing feature updates for the immediate and medium term futures to go along with a strong marketing campaign helped increase both our active users amount of activity as well as a solid increase in new active users. When customers and users can see the constantly increasing feature set of an app, they are more likely to commit to using it, as it will continue to improve. Iterative releases help send the message to your customers that everyone is working to constantly deliver the best new features.

Conclusion ―

This was a very successful overhaul of an outdated brand. Our new action oriented user experience was driven by user research data and verified by post launch user research. Automating a lot of the prioritizing that we used to depend on users to do helped users feel less overwhelmed and remain more focused on their tasks at hand. The marketing campaigns were effective and informative as well, driving new users to the platform.